Academy Award-winner Errol Morris’ TABLOID follows the much stranger-than-fiction adventures of Joyce McKinney, a former “beauty queen” whose single-minded devotion to the man of her dreams leads her across the globe and directly onto the front pages of the British tabloid newspapers.
Academy Award-winner Errol Morris’ TABLOID follows the much stranger-than-fiction adventures of Joyce McKinney, a former “beauty queen” whose single-minded devotion to the man of her dreams leads her across the globe and directly onto the front pages of the British tabloid newspapers. Joyce’s crusade for love and personal vindication, as illustrated by Morris, takes her through a surreal world of gunpoint abduction, manacled Mormons, oddball accomplices, bondage modeling, magic underwear and dreams of celestial unions. This notorious affair is barking mad.
Equal parts love story, film noir, brainy B-movie and demented fairy tale, TABLOID is a delirious meditation on hysteria – both public and personal – from a filmmaker who continues to break down and blow open the documentary genre with his penetrating portraits of eccentric and profoundly complex characters. In TABLOID, Morris concocts another jaw-dropping portrayal, this time of a phenomenally driven woman whose romantic obsessions and delusions catapult her over the edge into scandal-sheet notoriety and an unimaginable life. Long before the days of Lindsay, Britney and the 24-hour news cycle, Joyce McKinney reigned as the ensnaring Femme Fatale accused of sexual defiance. In TABLOID, she is back, and Morris offers up his best guilty treasure.
- "A fascinating window on to a forgotten media world" The Guardian –
- "Errol Morris lays bare the relations between press and victim in an extraordinary film about the Joyce McKinney scandal" The Times –
- "Tabloid is raucous, fast moving and very, very funny." – Empire
- "It’s been a long time since he’s had a subject this outrageously wonderful, and a film this outrageously good." – Indiewire
- "This is too smart and enjoyable to cavil. " – Time Out
- "The whole saga of Joyce McKinney and the Manacled Mormon is so fabulously batshit-crazy from top to toe that, whoever you choose to believe, it feels miles too good to be true." – Popbitch
- Eye for Film –
- "Hugely enjoyable, frequently funny and luridly fascinating documentary that's utterly riveting from beginning to end" View London –
- Errol Morris: two sides to every scandal — The Guardian
- I still love my manacled Mormon: 'Madam Mayhem' Joyce McKinney who kidnapped missionary with mink-lined handcuffs is still defiant as film is made of her life — The Daily Mail
- Weathering a Scandal and Now a Movie — The New York Times
- The beauty queen, the Mormon sex slave and the bizarre crime that gripped Britain in 1977 — The Daily Mirror
- Captivating Films, Complicated Truths — The New York Times
- Talking Movies: Film tells story of 1970s tabloid sensation — BBC
- Joyce McKinney and the battle of the tabloids Guardian Article — The Guardian
All posts about this release from the dogwoof blog
July 31st, 2014
Pre-order from the Dogwoof shop and we will throw in a copy of Tabloid too!