A mesmerizing portrait of the pioneering and controversial performance artist.
Seductive, fearless, and outrageous, Marina Abramović has been redefining what art is for nearly 40 years. Using her own body as a vehicle, pushing herself beyond her limits – and at times risking her life in the process – she creates performances that challenge, shock, and move us. MARINA ABRAMOVIĆ THE ARTIST IS PRESENT follows the artist as she prepares for what may be the most important moment of her life: a major new retrospective of her work, taking place at The Museum of Modern Art. To be given a retrospective at one of the world’s premier museums is the most exhilarating sort of milestone. For Marina, it is far more: it is the chance to finally silence the question she has been hearing over and over again for four decades: “But why is this art?”
- "Marina Abramović's piece de resistance has been captured in a sharp documentary" The Guardian –
- "Consistently informative in charting Abramović’s career, and genuinely engaging thanks to his subject’s witty, unpretentious presence" Total Film –
- "This is illuminating and inspiring. " Time Out –
- "Profound documentary about the impact of art as a shared experience" Empire Magazine –
- "A smoothly structured and entertaining portrait of the magnetic performance artist." – Little White Lies
- "A perceptive, intelligent documentary " – Screen
All posts about this release from the dogwoof blog
June 17th, 2013
A Dogwoof film picks up the award for the 3rd year in a row!
January 23rd, 2013
The Spirit of '45 is just one of the Dogwoof titles screening in the March festival
October 29th, 2012
Get down to the west country for some film watching this November!
August 28th, 2012
Get your copy from the Dogwoof DVD shop now..
August 21st, 2012
See the film in London's newest performance art space
July 24th, 2012
See the film across the country on 7th August
July 3rd, 2012
The godmother of performance art is coming to a screen near you.
June 29th, 2012
Win a signed copy of the cinema quad poster
May 17th, 2012
Dogwoof Global are proud to announce four high-profile sales for the film
May 10th, 2012
Get yourself to Sheffield this June to see some of our best documentary films
April 17th, 2012
We will now be selling the rights to Errol Morris' documentary worldwide