A mesmerising portrait of the pioneering and controversial performance artist.
Seductive, fearless, and outrageous, Marina Abramović has been redefining what art is for nearly 40 years. Using her own body as a vehicle, pushing herself beyond her limits – and at times risking her life in the process – she creates performances that challenge, shock, and move us. MARINA ABRAMOVIĆ THE ARTIST IS PRESENT follows the artist as she prepares for what may be the most important moment of her life: a major new retrospective of her work, taking place at The Museum of Modern Art. To be given a retrospective at one of the world’s premier museums is the most exhilarating sort of milestone. For Marina, it is far more: it is the chance to finally silence the question she has been hearing over and over again for four decades: “But why is this art?”
- "Marina Abramović's piece de resistance has been captured in a sharp documentary" The Guardian –
- "Consistently informative in charting Abramović’s career, and genuinely engaging thanks to his subject’s witty, unpretentious presence" Total Film –
- "This is illuminating and inspiring. " Time Out –
- "Profound documentary about the impact of art as a shared experience" Empire Magazine –
- "A smoothly structured and entertaining portrait of the magnetic performance artist." – Little White Lies
- "A perceptive, intelligent documentary " – Screen
All posts about this release from the dogwoof blog
May 20th, 2015
The star of Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present claims Jay Z 'used' her. Jay Z adapted her work The Artist is Present for his music video for Picasso Baby but apparently didn't hold up his end of the deal and Marina is speaking up against the rapper in a recent interview.