Before the internet and before the likes of fashion bloggers, there was Bill Cunningham, the street-fashion and society chronicler for The New York Times. After 50 years of cycling the streets of the Big Apple with his camera, snapping the great, the good and the stylish, Bill Cunningham is now in front of the lens in this loving and intimate portrait of a remarkable man and a chronicler of a city.
The “Bill” in question is 80+ New York Times photographer Bill Cunningham. For decades, this Schwinn-riding cultural anthropologist has been obsessively and inventively chronicling fashion trends and high society charity soirées for the Times Style section in his columns “On the Street” and “Evening Hours.” Documenting uptown fixtures (Anna Wintour, Tom Wolfe, Brooke Astor, David Rockefeller—who all appear in the film out of their love for Bill), downtown eccentrics and everyone in between, Cunningham’s enormous body of work is more reliable than any catwalk as an expression of time, place and individual flair. In turn, Bill Cunningham New York is a delicate, funny and often poignant portrait of a dedicated artist whose only wealth is his own humanity and unassuming grace.
- "A lively and engaging doc" Time Out –
- "This documentary about the renowned fashion photographer is a remarkable portrait of a tremendous talent" The Guardian –
- "This documentary portrait exactly suits its modest yet marvellous subject" The Independent –
- "A love letter to both Bill Cunningham and his city" Little White Lies –
- "A doc that’ll make more than just fashionistas smile. " Total Film –
- "An energetic, affectionate film that anyone who loves New York, fashion or photography would be a fool to miss" Eye for Film –
- "An exuberant, occasionally intimate portrait" The List –
- "Watching Cunningham snap his subjects is joyous." The Skinny –
- "A refreshing take on one character in the fashion world" – Don't Panic
- "A riveting, delightful, and ultimately moving portrait of an iconic city and an equally iconic man" – Hunger TV
Following A Legend — Vogue
'Bill Cunningham New York', gets UK cinema release — The Telegraph
Bill Cunningham – New York's king of street style — The Guardian
Bill Cunningham, New York (Richard Press Interview) — ID Magazine
Thursday 01 May
London – Pump House Gallery – Popup Cinema Screening
All posts about this release from the dogwoof blog
October 29th, 2012
Get down to the west country for some film watching this November!
November 28th, 2011
Dogwoof founder Andy Whittaker looks at the resurgance of the genre...