Ballroom Dancer is the story of Slavik Kryklyvyy, a former World Latin American Dance Champion, as he tries to make a comeback after ten years.
Slavik Kryklyvyy, a once legendary World Latin American Dance Champion, has been out of the spotlight for ten years but is determined, with the help of a new partner, to recapture his former glory. Slavik is a temperamental and wildly talented perfectionist, taken out of the spotlight by a hip injury, and he is willing to sacrifice everything to get back to the top. He expects nothing but the best from his amateur world champion girlfriend, Anna Melnikova, and his temper flares when she fails to live up to his high standards. The couple dance around the world, clinging on to their relationship as the pressure mounts and waging a battle against memory, anxiety, injury and envy along the way. Looking at the glamorous world of ballroom dancing contrasted with the brutal and tough discipline which hides beneath the glittery surface, ‘Ballroom dancer’ watches the tragic love story unfold between Slavik and Anna. It’s a universal story of a man, who allows himself to be defined by his art and tragically realises the consequences of his uncompromising choices in life.
- "This is the perfect docu-thriller for the Strictly aficionado. " Empire Magazine –
- "A compelling cinema verité glimpse of Slavik’s attempt at a comeback" The Times –
- "Like a cross between The Red Shoes’ Lermontov and Vicky" The Evening Standard –
- "Shows a darker side to professional dancing" The Daily Express –
- "It is totally riveting, like watching Torvill and Dean do Strindberg" The Financial Times –
- "Beautifully made, lovingly shot" – The Guardian
- "A fascinating fly-on-the-wall glimpse into the inner sanctums of this fading star" – Little White Lies
- "This is Strictly Ballroom meets Black Swan" – The Arts Desk
- Last Tango in Blackpool — Nowness Magazine
- Ballroom Dancer: making documentary in the style of fiction — Ideas Tap
- Talking docs and dance with Christian Holten Bonke and Andreas Koefoed — Doc Geeks
All posts about this release from the dogwoof blog