A love story between man and cinema
Jorge (45) lives with his parents and has been working at a Film Archive for 25 years. He is a film programmer, he makes technical support, and he conducts the film news show at a radio station in Montevideo. Without any other job experience than working at the Film Archive, Jorge loses his position. A Useful Life explores the way Jorge changes his way of living in order to adapt to the new world that appears to him. After all, maybe ‘movies’ will help him survive.
- "Exhilaratingly idiosyncratic, Veiroj’s film is ultimately an ode to the blind faith in the transformative power of film." – Sight and Sound
- "A delightful hors d'oeuvre" – The Observer
- "A paean to cinephilia" Empire Magazine –
- "Forged in an ultra-dry, Jarmuschian mould, Veiroj’s film is gorgeously bittersweet." – Little White Lies
- "Teasing, mazy, memorable." The Financial Times –
Film 2012 Show — BBC Film 2012